If you think that social media and print marketing are competitors, think again. While
both may compete for your marketing dollars, in terms of accomplishing your marketing
goals, they can be highly symbiotic.
Social media is vital to today’s marketing world, while print remains the bedrock of
successful marketing. Connecting the traditional and online worlds is a powerful
springboard to building strong relationships.
Let’s look at five ways print and social media complement each other.
- 1. Print drives traffic: When developing a relationship with your audience, its best to engage them on their
terms. If your audience wants to interact with you through social media, use print to
drive them to your social sites. Whether it’s direct mail, store signage, business card, or
company invoices, print is a great way (and link) to let your audience know you’re on
social media and eager to interact.
- 2. Social media increases credibility: A positive social media presence increases credibility. Millennials turn to their social
network of friends and associates to find information on products, companies, and other
experiences. A solid social presence with a following of “trusted” advisors will help
influence their buying decisions and increase a brand’s credibility. That credibility
supports print marketing and in turn increase its effectiveness.
- 3. Broaden your reach: Integrating social media and print into your marketing plan broadens your reach and
covers a wider swath of demographics. As the old adage goes: “Don’t put all of your
eggs in one basket.”
- 4. Reinforce the message: Studies consistently show that reinforcing your message through multiple channels
increases brand awareness, heightens engagement, and boosts response rates. The
combination of print and social media is far more effective than using print or social
- 5. Staying power or immediate action: Your social media message might be relevant for a minute, hour, or even a day. If you’re
lucky it may go viral and stay relevant for weeks. Your printed piece may be discarded
quickly or live on someone’s desk, refrigerator, or bulletin board for weeks or months. If
you’re lucky it might cause immediate action. To have staying power or cause immediate
actions whether it is social media or print you must deliver relevant information at the
Using print and social media isn’t an “either or” proposition. Understanding how they
work together is the key to better results.
Learn more about our printing services.
Talk to our experts to learn more 402.734.4400